How to Get Your Driver’s License Back After DUI

by | May 7, 2022 | Drivers License Suspension Or Revocation, DUI

Following a DUI charge, the minimum suspension period in Massachusetts is 45 days and can be up to one year in some cases. Of course, if you find yourself in this scenario, you would probably like to get your license back as soon as possible. However, there are more steps required than just a suspension period. These requirements and penalties will also differ between first-time and multiple-time offenders.

DUI charges and penalties change from state to state. In this post, we will discuss Massachusettes specifically. Although these penalties and reinstatement requirements will be mostly similar, if you are outside of MA, it is best to check with your state’s Department of Driver Services website for more details.

If you are in the New Bedford, MA area, and are looking for a skilled attorney to help you with your case, contact Attorney John B. Seed today!

The Road to Reinstatement

Find A Skilled Attorney

The first step in dealing with any charge is to find an attorney that specializes in what you are going through. The ins and outs of the legal system are incredibly difficult to navigate, and having a skilled attorney on your side can make a huge difference in the outcome of your case. From having an easier time with reinstatement due to the knowledge your attorney can provide you, to getting your suspension period lowered, it pays to have an attorney in your corner.

Attorney John B. Seed has over a decade of experience defending DUI cases in Massachusetts. If you are looking for an attorney to help you get your license back, or defend your case, contact the office of John B. Seed today.

Complete Your Suspension & Community Service

As stated above, the terms and timeline of a license suspension can differ greatly from case to case. The court can pass a suspension from 45 days to up to a year. There are a few factors that go into this decision, including:

  • Number of offenses
  • Drivers age (penalties worsen if the driver is under 21)
  • Compliance with police
  • Compliance, or refusal of a breathalyzer test
  • Cause of injury

In addition to suspension, the courts may also require you to perform up to 30 hours of community service, which will need to be completed before reinstatement is considered.


In Massachusetts, you are not automatically granted reinstatement at the completion of your suspension (and possible community service). Once your suspension period has ended, you must then apply for reinstatement. This is another step of the process that having an attorney to help guide you can be crucial, as there are many requirements for reinstatement.

Firstly, you must apply for reinstatement. This must be done through the RMV, in particular, a full-service registry with a hearings officer. There will be a good deal of paperwork to fill out, and even a few hearings to attend, all of which an attorney will help with.

Hardship Licenses

Hardship licenses are a form of restricted license that is only given to those who can prove to the RMV that the loss of their license will drastically impact their ability to work, attend school, or receive scheduled and regular medical assistance. Once again, this process requires a lot of paperwork and attention to legal detail, meaning that getting a hardship license becomes much more attainable with the help of a skilled DUI, Massachusetts attorney like John B. Seed.

Proactivity Required

Because losing your license could cause serious consequences for your personal and professional life, all of these steps should be treated with diligence. Get an attorney on your side, serve your suspension and other penalties, apply for reinstatement, and consider applying for a hardship license while going through the process. With the help of an attorney, your penalties may be reduced, and your overall experience will become much easier to handle.

If you are looking for an experienced DUI attorney in the New Bedford, MA area to handle your case, contact the office of John B. Seed today at 508-999-1399.